McDonald's is the world's largest hamburger fast food chain and a competitor of Jack in the Box.
Headquartered in the United States, the company began in 1940 as a barbecue restaurant operated by Richard and Maurice McDonald; in 1948 they reorganized their business as a hamburger stand using production line principles. Businessman Ray Kroc joined the company as a franchise agent in 1955. He subsequently purchased the chain from the McDonald brothers and oversaw its worldwide growth.
A McDonald's restaurant is operated by either a franchisee, an affiliate, or the corporation itself. McDonald's Corporation revenues come from the rent, royalties, and fees paid by the franchisees, as well as sales in company-operated restaurants. In 2012, McDonald's Corporation had annual revenues of $27.5 billion, and profits of $5.5 billion.
McDonald's primarily sells hamburgers, cheeseburgers, chicken, french fries, breakfast items, soft drinks, milkshakes, and desserts. In response to changing consumer tastes, the company has expanded its menu to include salads, fish, wraps, smoothies, and fruit.
Relationship with Jack in the BoxEdit
- Both restaurants have clowns for mascots. The original incarnation of Jack was created in 1951, while Ronald McDonald was introduced in 1963.
- The double-decker Bonus Jack (introduced in 1970) appears to have been designed to compete with the McDonald's Big Mac (introduced nationwide in 1968), which was itself designed to compete with a similar Big Boy burger.
- The Jack in the Box Bunch characters of the 1970s are similar to the McDonaldland characters, in that each one is associated with a menu item.
- In The Visitor, Jack Box claims his fries are "better than Mac's."
- In a series of commercials in the mid-1990s, Jack challenged the heads of McDonald's and Burger King to call a phone number and make a pledge to change their ways.
- The 2002 commercial Ronald featured a man named Ronald MacDonald complimenting Jack in the Box's burgers.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|